As the world becomes more aware of its environment, plastic bags are getting converted into reusable grocery bags. There is a large variety of fabrics and materials that can get used to achieve such a goal. Every material has its own strengths and shortcomings.
The material gets decided according to the specific requirement a business. Researching various materials like cotton, nylon, polyester, and polypropylene bags will finally help a business decide which one of them will work the best for your business and its overall message.
Customers will become more attracted to your business, as they are becoming more aware of how they can save nature. Therefore, using reusable bags is great for promotions and to send customers a message that your brand is also aware and cares about the environment.
On this business blog, we look at popular materials used for reusable grocery bags.
Cotton bags can get made using three types of cotton; Organic cotton gets made without the use of pesticides; recycled cotton gets made using reclaimed cotton scraps; traditional cotton, its chemically treated, raw, and natural. There are many densities in cotton. Some can be denser, making them heavier. The typical cotton canvas bags are much denser and expensive than the lighter cotton bags.
- Has a soft, smooth texture
- Strong and Durable
- It is biodegradable
- It is available everywhere
- It is easy to wash
- Sensitive to getting moisture damage
- It has a higher production and shipping cost
- It shrinks in the washing machine
A versatile resin polymer is a polypropylene. It has a low production cost. Moreover, it gets seen how the nonwoven polypropylene is durable and gets seen as one of the best materials to get used for manufacturing reusable bags. Polypropylene gets measured in grams per square meter (GSM), a standard of the material’s density and weight. The higher the GSM bag, the more costly it will be.
- People who favor polypropylene grocery bags love their strength.
- It has a chemical corrosion resistance property
- Easy to clean by simply wiping it.
- Has law porosity
- Has various color options, making it flexible for brand printing.
- It is unsuitable to wash in a washing machine
- It is non-biodegradable
- It gets made from petrochemicals
- It has a rough texture and not as soft to touch
A synthetic polymer created initially as a substitute for silk in the fabric is nylon. You can normally find nylon fabric in tights, lightweight jackets, track pants, swimwear, pantyhose, umbrellas, and so on. Now it can also get found in reusable bags because of how easy it is to maintain it.
- It is durable & strong
- It is lightweight and can get easily folded
- Can get dyed easily
- It is water-resistant
- It is non-biodegradable
- It is petroleum-based
- When used frequently, it can give a crumpled and unpleasant appearance.
Have you ever read or analyzed the labels on your clothes? If you have, then you will have come across a fabric type a lot: polyester. Polyester is polyethylene terephthalate (PET). It is the same type of material used to make bottles for drinks. It got created in 1941. However, it became popular in the 1970s when disco was hit by storm. After that, polyester would become the best fabric for inexpensive suits. However, gradually the reputation improved as its quality and purpose got increased.
- It is versatile
- It is water-resistant
- Does not crinkle easily
- It can easily get folded
- Still has types of plastic
- Hard to break down once disposed off
- Using it frequently starts to eliminate the branding on its surface
Hemp can endure dryness and can thrive without fertilizers or pesticides. An acre of hemp needs very little water and gives around 3-6 tons of fiber. The hemp fiber is long-drawn, sturdy, and durable. This material is great for creating organic reusable bags.
- It is robust, much stronger than cotton
- It is durable
- It is soft and smooth
- Can get washed in the washing machine
- You can ‘break in’ as frequent as you used it, similar to leather
- Can get mixed with other materials like recycled PET or cotton
- It has to get imported to the western part of the world, making it much more expensive and adding to the cost of the bags.
Your business can choose any reusable bag type for its customers. However, it’s always better to use environmentally friendly alternatives that can get used more than once. At first, reusable bags were dull and tedious. Nonetheless, with time, they became more fashionable and sophisticated, giving businesses the best of both worlds. Always pay attention to the denier number of the material when buying it to make a reusable bag. It is the measurement of material strength. The higher the denier number, the stronger the material for the reusable bag will be. It allows your business to lead and leave a positive influence on your brand reputation.